Many of us remember growing up watching this charming character on TV named Chef Wan. With his charismatic personality and zingy one-liners, he made his way into the hearts of Malaysians with little to no effort by simply being himself.
So, we’ve seen him on TV and we know he’s a chef, but do we really know this beloved Malaysian celebrity chef enough to say we’re fans of him? Guess again.
His full proper name is Redzuawan bin Ismail.
2. He was born in Singapore when it was still a part of Malaysia.
- When he was 3 years old, he moved to KL with his family, as his father was transferred from the The British Royal Air Force to The Malaysian Air Force.
3. He has an Associate degree in Professional Chef Training and Hotel Management from the California Culinary Academy and top of his class at that.
- He was overlooked by his peers and lecturers for being an Asian in the beginning.
4. He is from mixed ancestry.
- His mother has Japanese ancestry, his father 100% Malay.
5. Chef Wan once said Philippines is known to have the worst food in Asia.
- In 2015, while criticizing a CNN ranking of the world’s best food destinations for its low placement of Malaysia, Chef Wan stated that “the Philippines is known to have the worst food in Asia, ask any chefs and they will tell you I am right”
6. In 2009, he won the Best Celebrity Television Chef of the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards.
- The ceremony is for people who count in the world of culinary books.
7. 2017 Master Chef of the Year
- He won this title along with Food Ambassador at the World Top Gourmet Awards 2017 at Berjaya Timesquare Hotel, Kuala Lumpur.